How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask keeperumiami Your Own Question
keeperumiami, Senior Tax Expert & Financial Planner
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 7089
Experience:  Sr Tax Expert/Financial PlannerCPA/PFS (retired)Over forty years of advising individuals & small businesses
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
keeperumiami is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband, Porter F. Schultz, Jr., has been diagnosed with

Customer Question

My husband, Porter F. Schultz, Jr., has been diagnosed with Lewy Body. His bank account was set up many years ago with him the only one to sign on his account. What I need to know, as his lawful wife, is how I can go about getting my signature on his account so that if something should happen to him I would be able to write checks on his account. We went to the bank where we have our accounts, Bank of America, Surprise Branch, and they said that I have to get an okay from Social Security as he has direct deposit of his monthly checks from SS. Please let me know if you need any other information. Deloris Guthrie-Schultz
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 1 year ago.
First of all I'm sorry to hear of your husband's medical problems, I'm sure it's a strain for him and you as well.In order to figure out the simplest way for you to handle this, I need to ask a couple of questions.Is your husband's disease progressed to the point where he is unable to care for himself and has his cognitive ability diminished to the point where the bank people were unsure that he understood what you and he wanted to do?Do you have his written Power of Attorney? If not, do you think he would understand things well enough if an attorney explained to him that he was giving you the Power to manage his financial affairs as well as to take care of him which I'm sure you are already doing.Do you have any children that live near you?Hold old are you and your husband and how long have you been married?If you can answer these questions, I can give you some alternatives so you can what you are trying to do accomplished.Steve G.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
first of all No he hasn't progressed so that all his cognitive ability is gone. I'm sure that he will be able to talk to the bank people so that they will be able to understand what he wants to do....Yes, I do have his written Power of Attorney. Porter has a son living in Mesa, AZ....I am 82 years old and Porter is 79 years old and we have been married for 37 years. Porter can still make decisions but does get confused if things are thrown at him quickly, takes him a while to think about things.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The bank person we talked to told us that we would have to contact Social Security and get Permission? to put my name on his bank records. At least that is what I understood her to say. dee
Expert:  keeperumiami replied 1 year ago.
Well, if you have his Power of Attorney the bank should accept that but sometimes they won't if it's an old Power of Attorney. Is it a "DURABLE POWER of ATTORNEY"? If it is, and it's an old one, you'll want to get it updated while you husband can still do it.You shouldn't need any approval from the SSA.You can tell the bank you are going to go to another bank & open a joint account and have Social Security direct deposit the checks to the same account if they won't switch the existing account. They may decide to open a new account right then or change their mind about adding you to the account.I know Bank of America won't add someone as a signing authority on a personal account, it has to be a joint account.Once you have a joint account, you can go to the local Social Security office (it's best to have an appointment) and get the paperwork changed so the checks will be deposited into the new account.It sounds like a pain, but that is the simplest way to do it; the getting the SSA to give "permission" is not a simple task & the bank shouldn't be asking for that if you have a Durable Power of Attorney.