How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been married to my husband years. We are both

Customer Question

I have been married to my husband for 45 years. We are both 70 years old. I did not earn enough work credits and will be receiving spousal benefits. Will I be able to receive 50% of what my husband will be receiving monthly. If not Why?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.If you are currently married and your spouse is receiving his benefits then yes you will be able to receive a 50% spousal benefit based on his benefit. Understand that the 50% is based off of his benefit at full retirement age (or before if he elected to take early retirement) and does not count any credits he may have earned by delaying his benefit past full retirement age. The spousal benefit is the full 50% once you hit full retirement age and you are obviously past that age. To answer your question, yes you can receive the 50% spousal benefit. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.