How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My birthdate is 11/01/1948. I was married 20 years, divorced

Customer Question

my birthdate is 11/01/1948. I was married 20 years, divorced 10 years ago. most of my married life, although I worked in a small business with my husband, he claimed most or all of the income for himself and did not attribute any social security to my ssi account. I have not remarried, have not applied for social security, and intend to work until I am at least 70. am I able to collect any money from social security from my husband's account that will not effect my own account.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good evening,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I have good news for you. Yes, you may apply for a restricted spouse benefit immediately, and collect 50% of your ex's full retirement age benefit and that benefit will NOT in any way interfere with your own retirement benefit which will continue to grow at the rate of 8% per year to age 70. Because you are over 66 1/2 you may also ask for 6 months of retroactive spouse benefits which will paid to you in lump sum.At age 70, all you need to do is apply for your own, fully maximized social security retirement benefit. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?Thanks in advance,Doug