Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

The Social Security office says I can not get any of his

Customer Question

The Social Security office says I can not get any of his benefit - I am currently working and I am 63
Are they correct I can not get any of his?
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sent it
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Are you talking about your spouse or ex spouse? If it is your ex, how long were you married? Were you remarried?
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. You can receive a spousal benefit from your spouse as long as your spouse is currently collecting SS benefits. If it is your ex then you had to have been married for at least 10 years and remain unmarried (or at least not remarried before age 60). Understand that the spousal benefit does not stack with your normal retirement benefit, you receive the higher of the two benefits. If you try to elect for the spousal benefit at your age (age 63), you have to take your normal retirement as well and both benefits will be reduced by the early retirement penalty permanently. So while you can take a spousal benefit, it must be higher than your own retirement benefit in order to be a bonus to you. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?