How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 1561
Experience:  Over 20 years experience in tax preparation, including some multi-national Social Security applications.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have heard that if you were married least 10-11

Customer Question

I have heard that if you were married for at least 10-11 years, you should be able to share in some of your ex-spouses Retirement benefits from Soc. Security. Is this true? I was married to my X for almost 11 yrs, helped put him through college and Law school. When we divorced, I had rough times getting him to pay child support and/or seeing his 2 children. He now owns his own real estate company and lives in Point Loma, CA. He's done very well for himself. Is there a chance that I might be able to recoup some of what I lost? He has been re-married now, for almost 30 years. They have one adopted child who is in his 30's. My name is Christine ****** and his name is Kenneth ******. My social security # ***** ***-**-****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.
If you were married to him for 10 years or more, you can apply for Social Security under his credits if you are not presently married, and (1) he has applied for Social Security, or (2) he is eligible for Social Security, and you have been divorced for at least 2 years. This is independent of any "fault" in the divorce or child support issues, although, if there is still back child support, you might be able to collect it against his Social Security, as well as against wages or assets.
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.
I don't know if my agreement to a live phone chat went through; I had to re-login.
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.
Trying again to offer a live phone chat....