How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask lev-tax Your Own Question
lev-tax, Tax Advisor
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 29581
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
lev-tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am looking into retirement in the near future and want to make s

Customer Question

Hi, I am looking into retirement in the near future and want to make sure that all of my SS is correct. I started SS at age 67 and took Part A at that time. I am now looking into the other parts and feel I might need a little help. Also, my husband of 26 years passed away 2 years ago today and wanted to make sure that there was no changes in my SS. I guess you would need my name, Barbara A. Kildahl
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
Hi Barbara and welcome to our site!Many people wonder how the SSA figures their Social Security retirement benefit.The Social Security Administration bases Social Security benefits on your lifetime earnings. They adjust or index your actual earnings to account for changes in average wages since the year the earnings were received.Then Social Security calculates your average indexed monthly earnings during the 35 years in which you earned the most. And after that - they apply a formula to these earnings and arrive at your basic benefit, or primary insurance amount.This is how much you would receive at your full retirement age. So depending on your earning record - it is possible that there are some missing years or earning.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
If so - that could affect your social security benefit calculations and you may contact the Social Security Administration.Following publication might be helpful for better understanding the calculations your husband passed away - you might be entitled for surviving spouse benefits.So when you go to the SSA office - ask to verify which benefits are larger - your own benefits or benefits as a surviving spouse?You may not receive both benefits - but definitely may choose the larger...I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.I am here to help you with all tax related issues.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wish to discontinue this. Sorry.
Expert:  lev-tax replied 1 year ago.
I forwarded your request to the customer service.