How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Arthur Rubin Your Own Question
Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 1561
Experience:  Over 20 years experience in tax preparation, including some multi-national Social Security applications.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Arthur Rubin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm thinking of retiring, I'm a 63 year old woman I was married

Customer Question

I'm thinking of retiring, I'm a 63 year old woman
I was married for 24 year to my former husband am I eligible to get his level of monthly benefits? Does it matter if I was remarried for a brief period after my divorce from husband #1? second marriage only lasted 3 year?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. Only a current marriage would affect your ability to place a claim against an ex-spouse's benefits. You can file a claim against his benefits (if he is taking or is eligible for benefits), but it might constitute claiming your early benefits at the same time. I can research that if you like, but it's not relevant if your benefits would not (even if you didn't claim them until age 70) be more than your benefits as a divorced spouse.