How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married to my ex 16 years. If i apply for

Customer Question

i was married to my ex for almost 16 years. If i apply for his benefits at age 62, and i am not married, if i get remarried, will i lose the ex's ss benefits? do i have to be divorced at age 62 for a certain amount of time before i can claim ss thru the ex?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon Melissa,I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. Yes, if you begin taking an ex-spouse benefit while you are not married (which is a requirement to take an ex-spouse benefit) then you will lose that benefit upon becoming remarried. At that point however you could switch over to your own retirement benefit from social security or wait 12 months after marriage at which time you will be eligible for a spouse benefit based on your new spouse's social security record---so long as your new spouse is taking their benefit already. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug