Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial, Social Security & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I live in Texas and just got a direct deposit for $914.40 on

Customer Question

I live in Texas and just got a direct deposit for $914.40 on April 1st when I have always gotten $1,280 per month since Jan. 1st, 2015. I called Social Security and was told Texas has stopped paying for Medicare Benefits Jan. 1st, 2016 so there is a $121.88 amount taken out of my monthly benefit and they had taken out for three month's leaving the $914.40 balance this month. I have Humana Gold Insurance I understand replaces Medicare, so why am I even having to pay for Medicare?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.
Hi,...I'm so sorry to hear ......For anyone who is Medicare age, you (or your state, and Texes id stop this as of Jan1) must keep up the Medicare Part B premiums....This is because, for Medicare age insureds, for what are called medicare replacement policies, Humana is paying, but then being funded by Medicare for the portion they they would cover, as part of the cost sharing arrangement....This is handled one of two ways; (1) Medicare is the primary insurer and then your medical insurance covers what medicare covers or (2) Medicare replacements are paying everything but are getting reimbursed by Medicare under a cost sharing agreement....A Medicare Replacement Plan is a plan that promises to replace the same cover that is provided by Medicare. Oftentimes, these types of replacement plans are provided by insurance companies such as Humana and others....Though these plans promise on the surface to replace all of Medicare, many elderly individuals who trade in their Medicare for a Medicare Replacement Plan will find themselves receiving a significantly less effective health care. In many cases, individuals who get a Medicare Replacement Plan will find themselves being denied for many things that they would’ve immediately been accepted for while on Medicare....Please let me know if you have questions from here.....Again I'm sorry your having this trouble ... Please don't "shoot the messenger," I'm just trying to provide all the information I can so you can make informed decisions....Please let me know if you HAVE questions at all...I'll be here..Lane.... I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, the law degree), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986.