How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a 54 yr.old disabled who has perminate custody of my grandson.

Customer Question

I am a 54 yr.old disabled who has perminate custody of my grandson. can I get any more social security?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon Pamela,I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If you formally adopt your grandson through a court adoption proceeding, then your adopted son would be entitled to a child benefit based on you receiving social security disability benefits (SSDI). Your adopted child would be entitled to an amount equal to 50% of the monthly amount that you are receiving right now. This child benefit is only granted when the parent or adoptive parent is receiving SSDI benefits. Also, if either of the child's biological parents are receiving social security benefits or have dies, then you may be eligible to receive a benefit for the child as well. You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.I wish you and yours the best in 2016,Doug