How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13564
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My social security checks are being held up because of identity

Customer Question

my social security checks are being held up because of identity fraud it has been three months since ive recieved a check i have copd i dont have a car my checks were deposited to direct exspess what can i do
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
OK, so you need to go get a NEW PHOTO ID. If you are unable to drive, that is OK, because you need only have a state issued PHOTO ID, it need not be a drivers license. But yes, if you can not show ID to prove it is you and not a thief, that can be a hold up. So, you need to go to the facility that issues state photo IDs, often times it is your DMV - and bring with you the documentary proof it requires of you to get this ID, which will definitely include a raised-seal copy of your birth certificate, amongst other things (including proof of residency in that state, etc.) But check it out, as every state has its own rules.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!