Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I'm checking on multiple items that SS says will disappear

Customer Question

Hi, I'm checking on multiple items that SS says will disappear 4/1. I am 60yrs old, my husband is 66 and had been on SSDI since age 27. He is now regular SS. I am also checking for multiple family members. How do I go about signing up for the COLA ACT . Getting 8% increase o
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: yes COLA, getting 8% increase each yr for 4 yrs. I heard that if you lived in your house for 25 yrs your can collect sometime( don't know what it is called.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Social Security Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
The 8% a year is not COLA. However, I am happy to clear up your questions, those noted above.My name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.
"Hi, I'm checking on multiple items that SS says will disappear 4/1. --- I think you mean 5/1. Here is the only thing changing on 5/1: Starting on 5/1, anyone who suspends his benefits (which can only be those aged 66 to <70) will also cause his dependents, if any, to have their benefits on his record suspended as well. As such, anyone who thinks that in the future they will possibly have a spouse or child collecting or wanting to collect a dependent benefit on his or her record, but he himself doesn't want to start collecting his benefits yet, should consider FILING and immediately suspending his own benefit. That way he does trigger his dependent's future right to dependent benefit, but he does not ruin his own plan to defer his own benefits so they will grow that 8% per year. "I am 60yrs old, my husband is 66 and had been on SSDI since age 27. He is now regular SS. ------ OK. Because he is collecting a benefit, once YOU are old enough, you can potentially collect a spousal benefit based on his record. "I am also checking for multiple family members. How do I go about signing up for the COLA ACT . --------- No such animal as "cola act". "Getting 8% increase each yr for 4 yrs. ------- This is based on deferring collection of one's own benefit from 66 - 70. Each year of deferment will cause an 8% increase. This is called "delayed retirement credits." COLA, on the other hand, happens to everyone's benefits, taken or untake - it is to account for inflation. "I heard that if you lived in your house for 25 yrs your can collect sometime( don't know what it is called. ------- This is false. You can possibly, however, apply for a "reverse" mortgage - so look into that if the homeowner is over 62. It is NOT related to social security, however.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service &ndash; if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!