How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13546
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Because my benefit date

Customer Question

Because my benefit date is 2nd Wednesday of each month, I am being charged $100,plus $5 per day late fee in paying my apartment rent, which is due no later than 3rd of each month...
I cannot afford that...I can barely get to end of period. anumd occasionally go under water on my checking account..
I humbly request moving my benefit date to 1st; 2nd; or 3rd of each month...It will save me from $105 to $ 140 per month...I just can't make it as it is...and my landlord company will not budge off that penalty.
Thank you for your consideration.....
****** ****** ********
[email protected]
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Generally, the SSA will not change your date. Rather, we are expected to use our benefit check received in April to pay May's rent - this way you are never late. March's pay check is what you use for April's rent, and so on. If one get's behind, and is suffering late penalties, there are two options to get back on track. 1) is to negotiate a new rent due date with the landlord, so your April check can be used for May, and so forth. 2) if he won't, you will want to get back behind the ball - by either a) saving a bit each month til you have a whole months rent saved up, and then start paying ON TIME, and use the received month's rent for the next months rent (or better yet, get even more ahead than that by always having a months rent is savings where it need never be touched) or b) borrow a months' rent form someone or a credit card, and get back on track with your monthly due dates with it. Then, the $35 late fee you will be saving forever, and NOT have to pay each month, can INSTEAD go to pay back that loan. Before you know it, you will have both gotten your rent back on track AND paid off the loan that helped you do it. And, once that is done, you will have $35 more in your pocket each month.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it. Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.Your online SS legal resource!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am requesting a refund of my $45....The answer I received was nothing more than what is in the SS website...I was looking for a way to change the date of my benefit....Unsatisfied
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry you expected the accurate SS law to be in conflict with what the SS tells us as well. I am not sure why you expected that? In the future, it may be helpful to advise the professional assisting you that you only want an answer that is inconsistent with what the SSA states - I could have been better directed. But in any event, use your customer service button and they will be happy to help you. As you may know, I am simply a contributor lawyer here, assisting those with SS questions, get the accurate truth and I am not involved in any fee arrangement you may have made with the site. Good luck with you, regardless.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I expected a response that would see through the SS web site and provide a way in which to change the date of my benefit....I know people who have changed their date, due to severe circumstances...and I have a severe circumstance...Therefore, I am unhappy with your response...
The ';Just Answer" web site says "...parenthetically that all I need do is request my refund and that is what I am doing....
Thank you
Al Hubbard***@******.***
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, if you think that is 'severe', then 60% of all beneficiaries would be changing their date, many of them repeatedly. I am sorry you are disappointed with that. And yes, as as soon as you request a refund of the site you arranged with, they will refund your deposit. I am NOT the site, Sir, I am merely a lawyer trying to help, once you asked for help. I am no more able to refund your deposit you made to someone else than your neighbor (for lack of a better example). So, please look again on your screen for your customer service button. I am not customer service, nor am I an employee of the company. But I DO know that they are speedy and helpful in refunding. Have a great night, and I wish you all the best.