How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What would I need to do to apply to S. S. to receive my benefits

Customer Question

What would I need to do to apply to S. S. to receive my benefits in one lump sum.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship. This is not true regarding the changes that go into effect on May, 2016. These changes only affect the spousal benefit (50% benefit based on your spouse's benefit) as it relates to the "file and suspend" and "restricted benefit". You cannot currently elect to take a lump sum in place of your social security benefits, this was the case before and after the May 1 changes made by HR1314. There are ways to receive a lump sum by suspending your benefits at age 66 but these only replace benefits you receive between the suspension and your election (for example at age 68 where you would receive 2 years of back benefits from ages 66-68). So the May 1 changes will not effect this as you cannot receive a lump sum in the way you want to. Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?