TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
14155347

I AM THINKING OF GETTING MARRIED I AM 73 WILL THIS AFFECT MY

Customer Question

I AM THINKING OF GETTING MARRIED I AM 73 WILL THIS AFFECT MY SOCIAL SECURITY BENEFITS FOR EITHER ME OR MY PARTNER?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.
HelloIf you get Social Security disability or retirement benefits and you marry, your benefit will stay the same. It will depend on the type of SS benefits you receive.Supplemental Security Income (SSI) If you marry, your spouse's income and resources may change your SSI benefit; or If you and your spouse both get SSI, your benefit amount will change from an individual rate to a couple’s rate. Benefits for a widow, divorced widow, widower or divorced widower You cannot get benefits if you remarry before age 60; andYou cannot get benefits if you are disabled and remarry before age 50.Divorced spouse’s benefitsGenerally, your benefits end if you remarry.You are required to click a positive rating if I am to be credited with the response.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.