Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

Doug..... I have multiple questions concerning filing for

Customer Question
Hi Doug..... I have...
Hi Doug..... I have multiple questions concerning filing for Social Security and SSDI... Can you answer all of them? I'm not sure how this works.... Thanks, Lynn
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
4/1/2016
Social Security Expert: Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS
Hi, Looks like no ones picking up let me see if I can help...I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA, with specialization in finance & tax, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations. - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security & Medicare, estate, corporate & tax advice since 1986....You can certainly file for retirement on your work record and begin receiving SS retirement, but don't pull the disability claim....Normally, when someone that's born in 1954 takes SS retirement at 62 there's a 25% reduction.... Interestingly, there's a special rule that applies for those who become disabled and then apply for early retirement benefits under Social Security....If you became disabled, started collecting early retirement, and then had your disability application approved, you'll continue receiving your Social Security retirement payments, but you'll also get disability benefits that are enough to bring you to the full amount of the monthly payment you're entitled to receive, at normal retirement age. (Age 66) ...AND, when you reach full retirement age, you'll receive full retirement benefits as if you had never filed for early retirement benefits. ...If the disability claim is NOT paid, then, so sorry, you'll be locking in that lower retirement amount....But if your disability claim is paid, there will be a settlement back to the date of application or disability date, and you can then stay on SSDI plus the full retirement supplement until you DO reach 66, and nothing changes after that....Please let me know what questions you have from here...Lane..
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD,CFP, MBA, CRPS