How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife started drawing Social Security at age 62. The

Customer Question

My wife started drawing Social Security at age 62. The amount is quite small and I was asked by my CPA why she wasn't getting a larger amonut. That she should be entitled to a larger benefit based on the fact that I started drawing my SS in August which is over 4 times what she is getting.
Is there a way to have this reviewed by SS? Do I need to get help on this or is this something I can do thru their office?
Craig Lindstrom
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

First of all, yes you can get her benefit reviewed and you should be able to handle this on your own. Secondly, you also have to understand that her spousal benefit is also reduced by the early retirement penalty. At age 62, she does not receive the full 50% benefit that she would receive at full retirement age, she receives just 32.5% of your benefit and that does not include any credits you received if you retired after full retirement age (it is only based on your full retirement amount). So it is actually possible that she is receiving the correct amount. You can call Social Secuirty toll-free at 1-***-***-**** or contact your local office and set up an appointment (this might actually save you time as the 800 number can have very long waits at times) to review her benefit.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any further questions?