How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2981
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently got on my retirement at 62,so am i allowed to

Customer Question

hi,i recently got on my retirement at 62,so am i allowed to aply for spouse ss.we were married years i currently get ssi and retirement in which its very low .
Alva n.Melendez
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.

I believe you are describing an ex spouse and if so, you must have been married at least 10 years and your ex spouse has to have elected to receive their social security benefit. You also have to have remained unmarried (or at least not remarried before age 60) to be eligible for his benefit. If your are in fact divorced then if you ex is at full retirement age (age 66 in 2016) and you have been divorced for at least 2 years then you could receive the benefit as well. Remember the benefit is 50% at full retirement age and does not stack with your normal retirement benefit, so you would receive the higher of the two. The early retirement penalty also applies to the spousal benefit and would decrease the 50% spousal benefit to 32.5%. SS should automatically give you the higher of the two benefits but again your ex spouse must be eligible for his benefit and as have elected to take it or suspended his benefit according to SS rules. So to answer your question, yes you would be eligible fi you meet the requirements I laid out. If you are currently married and not divorced then you would be eligible and do not have to meet the 10 year rule.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.