Social Security

Ask Social Security Questions and Get Answers ASAP

Social Security

My husband has paid into social security and lived in this

Customer Question
country for over 30 years...
My husband has paid into social security and lived in this country for over 30 years. He is not a citizen. When I filed his claim for benefits a cretic are nacimento is require I learned that this is a birth certificate which he has. As a on citizen' is he eligible to fille or because he was born in Cuba is he no eligible and will he be denied and sent to Cuba
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Social Security
3/31/2016
Social Security Expert: Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney replied 1 year ago
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney

Is your husband currently here lawfully? I.e. does he have a valid Green Card or other Visa for his presence?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He has. A passport
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Something happened in legal situation; he lost his passport and inadvertently crossed into Canada and deported himself? Since our marriage and even prior he has worked and has no legal situation. He also has a social security card and birth certificate
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can u check his status. I was told that he visited a lawyer and was told to stay sway from trying for a visa as he has deported himself

Oh boy. OK, a passport can prove he entered the country legally, but not that he remained here legally after his date to leave passed.

I can not check is status, as that is private, highly confidential information between he and the Immigration agency.

I am confused though, if he deported himself, does that mean he is no longer in the USA? Or did he get back in?

But moving on. generally one can't collect SS while not legally present. He can potentially collect if he leaves, but, what he will likely want to do if he wishes to stay here is consult with an Immigration lawyer to determine how best to become legally present.

The statement about not trying for a visa because he has legally deported himself is not really clear to me - since he is clearly not deported. But, that said, he really needs to address his non-legal status and get it resolved if collecting his SS benefits is important to him. It may mean leaving for a while, and coming back in legally, having perhaps applied for a visa and then green card.

So, in answer to your question, no, generally non-legal status (no green card, no visa, and not a citizen) means no SS will be paid, unless and until he fixes that OR, decides to collect while present elsewhere. SO that he is not "non legally present" here.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq