Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My husband is a truck driver he trained other people how to

Customer Question

My husband is a truck driver he trained other people how to drive a truck.He trained a woman and left everthing for this woman.Now as for as I know they team drive the truck.I am on social security.What I want to no since he left me.Can I draw social security from him.Part of his social security.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you today.

If you were married for at least 10 years, you can get 1/2 of his social security check (this does not reduce his check, it's an additional benefit) provided that he's at least 62. He does not have to personally start his check in order for you to get part of his.

Keep in mind that you cannot get both 1/2 of his benefit and your own benefit - one or the other, but not both.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.