How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an RN in a Texas state hospital and pay into Social

Customer Question

I am an RN in a Texas state hospital and pay into Social Security with every check. Can I collect Social Security when I retire if I am part of a Teacher's Retirement Program?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your question. Yes, you can - but your benefit will be reduced due to the WEP. The WEP is a complex formula.

If you work 30 years and pay into social security for that time, you will not be subject to the reduction.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.