How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Facts: My former wife and I divorced 11 years ago after 31

Customer Question

My former wife and I divorced 11 years ago after 31 years.
She has not remarried, nor have I.
She turned 62 on 2-28-16
I will turn 65 on 5-9-16
She wishes to begin taking her social security benefit now.
Her income is from two sources:
a). Spousal support = $18k per year (Gross)
b). Nanny position = $20k per year (Gross)
I will not be taking my benefit until age 70
We have a few questions:
1. If she takes her social security now @ 62..... What is the maximum amount of money she can earn per year without a reduction in her benefit ? Does her earnings include the spousal support ?
2. Upon her turning 65, is her medicare benefit deducted from her social security benefit ?
3. By her taking her social security benefit earlier than full retirement age..... in the event I succumb at age 79, does she receive my full social security benefit as a surviving spouse ?
Thank you in advance,
Peter Casas
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

1) about 15,400 is what she can make before her benefits are reduced $1 for every $2. Spousal support is not included.

2) Yes, it will. If she is not yet drawing she will need to call and enroll

3) Yes, she gets your benefit as your surviving ex spouse since you were married at least 10 years.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.