How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a sixty year old married woman who on the thirtieth of

Customer Question

I am a sixty year old married woman who on the thirtieth of March 2014 had a heart attack due to fluid around my heart and lungs, then when I was released from the hospital I was placed on medications that I have to take for the rest of my life, basically I still have problems with fluid and humidty that I have pay attention to. I did go back to work but was released in 2014 and collected unemployment until December that year. Now my husband Paul who is self employed and the main bread winner is losing a big part of our $2400.00 on April 10. We have become part of the barely senior couples who are now facing major financial difficulties, including the short sale of our home basically because we can not pay the mortgage nor maintain the property anymore and just one step above being homeless. We just want to know if we can avail of any SSI benefits
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question -- you can apply for disability due to your heart ailments, if you cannot work and have worked within the last 5 years. If you are under 62 then you can't draw early and there are no more social programs under Social Security. You would not be able to the SSI benefits, either - you must be retired or disabled.

In additional to HUD section 8, you may try to get SNAP (food stamps) -- but that's handled at your local department of human services and not social security.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.