How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13521
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I get social security adopted son because I'm 70 years old.

Customer Question

I get social security for my adopted son because I'm 70 years old. My 40 year old son is going to adopt him from me because of my health, does the adopted sons social security go with him when my other son adopts him?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

No, the adopted son's benefit will not continue. If you died, and then he was adopted, his survivor benefit WOULD travel with him... but otherwise, by adopting him, your son is agreeing to take him on as a dependent, so he is no longer your dependent... You may wish to reconsider and have this adoption take place later, should it unfortunately be needed. Remember too, if you pass and he is still a minor, he gets 100% of your rate, not just 50%. But if you are no longer his parent, prior to that, it will not be.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!