How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can my husband file early retirement benefit (he's 63) and

Customer Question

Can my husband file for an early retirement benefit (he's 63) and later switch to a spousal benefit if that's higher than his early retirement benefit, when I retire at age 68 (I'm 64 now)?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Yes, he can file now for his own benefit and then later switch to a spouse benefit when you take your own retirement benefit.

Here is how it would work:

Let’s say his Primary Insurance Amount (PIA---the value of his retirement benefit had he waited to 66 to apply) is $1,000. He filed for his own benefit at 62 and received a reduced retirement benefit of $750 per month.

You had a PIA of $2500. At 66 or later he is eligible to receive one-half of your PIA. $2500 (your PIA); divided by two, that equals $1,250 (This is his full spouse’s rate). Social Security will subtract from the $1250 (the full spouse’s rate) – $1000 (her PIA) = $250.

Social Security will add that $250 to his reduced retirement benefit amount of $750 and his new spouse benefit amount at full retirement or after age will be $1,000, which is a bit less than the full spouse’s rate, but hundreds more than he is presently receiving.

So, it will be worth his while to go to social security when you take your benefit and if he can benefit by switching to a spouse benefit, they will process that application for him.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,