How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask radamkirk Your Own Question
radamkirk, Social Security Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 31683
Experience:  Social Security Attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
radamkirk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When I applied first social security (SS) card at age 16 in

Customer Question

When I applied for my first social security (SS) card at age 16 in 1968 I just gave the family name that I was called at the time. No documentation or my birth certificate was ask for proof. When I enlisted into the military my mother gave me my birth certificate. The name on my social security card is not the same name on my birth certificate. Now, I am ready to apply for my social security benefits. My first and middle names are reversed. SS tells me that I cannot apply for benefits until my birth certificate name is ***** ***** my legal name. they had suggest a legal name change. For the last 48 years I have l have always used my birth certificate name. Which is my legal name. What is the most efficient and easiest way to remedy this problem so that I can apply for the benefits that I have paid for and earned?.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  radamkirk replied 1 year ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

This is a common problem these days because the federal government has instituted new identification requirements for Social Security benefits......mainly, that the name on your birth certificate must match your social security card. The simplest way to remedy this is to file a petition to change your name and to amend your birth certificate. Once you get that done, you can have the state department of vital statistics issue you a new birth certificate with the proper name on it. Also, you can have the Social Security Administration issue a new social security card with the same name.

This process is usually fairly quick and easy -- it shouldn't take more than 30-45 days to get this done.

Expert:  radamkirk replied 1 year ago.

If you have any follow-up questions, please let me know. Thanks.