How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ShawnA Your Own Question
ShawnA, SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS , Decades of experience helping clients..
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2884
Experience:  SS Expert, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience helping clients..
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
ShawnA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lost my husband in 1982. He was retired military. I

Customer Question

I lost my husband in 1982. He was retired military. I receive widows benefits. I am 71 years old. Can i also draw on his social security?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you today.

How are you doing today?

Yes, if your husband has a benefit available you can draw that in addition to military benefits. If you have your own benefit, you can only draw his social security or your own -- not both. However you can draw BOTH social security AND military benefits.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not happy with this answer. What do u mean if he has a benefit available
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All i want to know is if he was retired military an i am 71 drawing widows benefits can i also draw on his ss?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should be a simple answer not a question with a question
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can i draw2 chcks? One from widows benefits an from his ss. Simple question
Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.

If he was ONLY employed by the military there was never any money he aid to SS. If he had another job that was NOT from the military he had to pay SS. What depends ion if you can withdraw from SS is that he must have worked at least 40 quarters at the non military job. I'll explain in better in a call.

Expert:  ShawnA replied 1 year ago.

My dad collected both. He WAS in the military for a few years, then he left and worked for decades for a non military company. He collected disability from the military and ss because of his non military job. My uncle Al collected only his military pension because he worked for a on military compnay buy only for 5 years (thus he did not qualify for a SS check).