How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask eacfp Your Own Question
eacfp, Enrolled Agent
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  Enrolled Agent
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
eacfp is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband passed away two weeks ago. He was 75years and

Customer Question

My husband passed away two weeks ago. He was 75years and received social security retirement benefits. I am 64 and have a disability. How do I apply for surviving spouse benefits? Should I go to an office with his death certificate?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  eacfp replied 1 year ago.

You could apply for widows benefits. If his benefit was more than your benefit then you could receive approximately the same amount that he was receiving. However, it would be reduced because you are under age 66.

Expert:  eacfp replied 1 year ago.

You would need to go a social security office with a certified copy of the death certificate. It would also help if you brought a copy of your marriage certificate.