How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie O Joy, Esq Your Own Question
Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 13564
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Stephanie O Joy, Esq is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I collect social security deceased husband.. I made less

Customer Question

I collect social security for my deceased husband.. I made less than 12000.00 last year do I have to file a income tax statement?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Are you saying you made less than 12,000 in ADDITION to collecting SS income?

Also, how much is your gross SS income for the year?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I ONLY made less than 12,000.00 for the year (social security from deceased husband) TOTAL!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
haven't gotten my answer yet??????????????????
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for returning - As you can see from above, I interacted with you at 5:35, but you (understandably) did not come back and I had to go about my regular law office day. But I am happy to help you now.

At 12,000 in total income, all from SS, there should be no federal taxation on your SS benefits. So, while I'd discuss with my tax preparer the benefits of a quick tax return, you typically would not be IRS required to do so. That said, I always think filing is important for statute of limitations purposes, as it can start the running of the time after which the IRS can't 'accuse' you of failing to report some "alleged" income. If you never file a return, that time period never ends.

Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!