Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I would like to read your site first. Yes. I want the six

Customer Question

I would like to read your site first.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes. I want the six word phrase that will raise my Social Security benefits due the law change that goes into effect in May 2016. What are the 6 words that I need to tell Social Security? Thank you.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Social Security Experts generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thee is no 6 words, that is a scam. However, there is a legal change starting 5/1, that may or may not effect you. If you would like to review if it effects you, I can do that. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Stephanie-I am 61 and will be 62 in October. If there is anything that I need to know or do to protect or increase my SS benefits, then I would like to be advised. I have a letter from a lawyer in TX (unsolicited) that concerns me that it is a scam as well. Thank you for replying.Catherine Estep

Catherine, what is the alleged lawyers name and address/phone? Can you upload the letter?

OK, now to confirm, you are NOT collecting any kind of SS at present, right?

When were you planning on starting benefits?

Are you married? If so, age of spouse?

Do you have minor children?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Stephanie-
I work for Oracle and I am traveling on business without the letter. It is from a Donald Wills in Woodland, TX. My daughter is a doctor in Houston and she could not find a listing for any attorney named Donald Wills.I am married and we have no minor children at the time we retire which will be 66. My husband is one year younger than me.
I see that the law is changing but do not know how it impacts us. I would like to take the propers steps now that protect our SS. If there is an action date before May that I need to know about, then I will execute whatever I need to in order not to loose any earned benefits.My phone is(###) ###-####if you would prefer to call me. I respect your time and many inquiries.Thank You,
Catherine Estep

Hi Catherine, I can offer you the premium phone service, but you likely don't need it.

The only thing that is changing come 5/1 is that any one who wants to file and suspend their benefits, will cause all their dependents to be suspended also. File and suspension is when someone at least their FRA, decides to file but then decides they don't want their payments because they'd rather they grow to age 70 for an additional monthly payment of 32% more, for life. If no one was going to be collecting a spousal benefit, and there are to be no minor children collecting, then this won't effect you.

Both of you (like myself and my spouse) will NOT be able to file a restricted application for spousal benefits only, at your FRA, so be able to collect something while deferring your own til 70. This is because you did not turn 62 before end of 2015.

At this time, there would appear to be nothing you need to do. At 66, you can decide - should I take my benefit now at 100%, for should I wait 1, 2, 3 or 4 years to take at 70, for 32% increase (8% per year of deferral). Some people with otherwise great retirement assets, decide to take at 66 so they get 48 extra payments that they don't get if waiting til 70. Others, who really feel the need to maximize the later SS payment that they may be living on, decide to wait til 70, and keep working to survive until 70, rather than lose that 32% raise.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!