How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 19637
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I Just turned 66 and my husband is 64. I was advised I

Customer Question

i Just turned 66 and my husband is 64.
I was advised I should "enroll and suspend" receipt of my benefits.
That way my husband can receive a portion of my ss benefits while my benefit will continue to grow as a result of my deferral
Is this true?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, it is true.If you apply and suspend, your spouse would then apply for spousal benefits only. This is called restricted spousal application. You need to do this before April 30, 2016. On April 30, 2016, Social Security Administration will no longer allow this strategy to be used. For more information, click on the links below:

Kindly give a positive rating to my post so that I can receive credit for answering your question—so that part of the deposit that you already paid to the site can be transferred to me. You are not charged extra for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.