LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I want to opt out of monthly payments from social security

Customer Question

I want to opt out of monthly payments from social security and take a lump sum payout, what are my options. I have been on disability for several years and am moving in with one of my children, I have substaintial bills to pay off.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning David,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You wrote: I want to opt out of monthly payments from social security and take a lump sum payout, what are my options. I'm not sure where you got the idea that you can opt out of social security and take a lump sum benefit, and I am sorry, but there is no such program and there never has been.

Is is not possible to opt out of social security and get a lump sum payment from social security.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug