How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  My experience over the years has involved Social Security,
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My aunts is 90 and my uncle died in 1995. My aunt worked

Customer Question

my aunts is 90 and my uncle died in 1995. My aunt worked for the Federal Govt. My uncle wan in the Navy from approximately 1940 until 1945. Then worked in the private sector until his death in 1995 at the age of 71. My aunt said that she was told by the SS Adm. that she was not eligibly to receive his annuity because it would be double dipping.
This doesn't sound right?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  CGCPA replied 1 year ago.

Although it is true that she cannot "double dip" she is entitled to receive a benefit that is the greater of her own benefit (based on her earnings record) or his benefit. Social Security has responded in a vague and confusing manner here and she should appeal their decision.

Additionally, she is also entitled to a death benefit as his widow. While not large every penny helps. She should apply for that if she has not yet received it.