How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I divorced after 19 years of marriage. I am told that I am

Customer Question

I divorced after 19 years of marriage. I am told that I am entitled to one-half of my ex-spouse's full benefit when she turns 62 two years from now. I am currently age 64. Can I collect on my account and then transfer to collect on her account when she reaches 62?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question

The second advice you received is accurate - you cannot switch benefits once you start drawing early. You can only do that if you have filed for benefits after full retirement age. I'm sorry for the confusion caused by social security.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

Related Social Security Questions