How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was married from 1969-1989. Divorced..Took early

Customer Question

I was married from 1969-1989. Divorced..Took early retirement and collected off my ex-husbands social security. I worked in various occupations from 1960-2004. My ex died in 2004. Am I entitled to any monies from my own work? Or, do I have to draw from his or mine, solely. I have not drawn anything from my own work.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question --

For social security, you get one benefit -- which is your benefit, the ex spouse survivor benefit --- etc. It's the highest benefit available to you, but you do not get both, unfortunately.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.