How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 2981
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will be 65 this year and am still working full time. I

Customer Question

I will be 65 this year and am still working full time. I will have a pension when I retire, which I am planning on doing in 2018. Husband is already retired and collecting his SS since age 62. Can I take collect on his at full retirement age of 66 and leave mine until 70?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** and I will be helping you with your question today. This is for informational purposes only and does not establish an attorney client relationship.Yes, this is called the restricted benefit. This loophole is being eliminated by HR 1314 which goes into effect on May 1, 2016. Since you were age 62 by December 31, 2015, you were grandfathered into the restricted benefit and will elect to take only the spousal benefit at full retirement age (age 66). This will be 50% of your spouse's benefit and you can collect this into age 70 while you receive 8% credits to your normal retirement benefit per year you delay your benefit until age 70. So yes, you can do this.Please let me know ifyou have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will ensure that I will be compensated for my time by the site.
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?