How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My names E Alvarez.i am an American citizen my whole life.i

Customer Question

My names Cynthia E Alvarez.i am an American citizen my whole life.i have been receiving text messages from a government agency believe my social security number has been compromised and don't know what to do.i received 5 text messages from this agency today unfortunately isn't the first time.i am disabled and honestly prayed this problem would go previous years someone even filed my tax returns fraudulently. I know I need a new social security present one is###-##-####please advise me whAt I can do.i checked on that site the messages were accompanied with case numbers.they are:src0800758667,src0800758764,please help me.thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question -- the US government will NEVER text message you - and the US CIS is part of the US government. In this, it's likely a scam. It's unlikely that any damage has been done to you at this point, but I would go to and report the text messages. I would also go to and get a copy of your credit report and check for any unusual activity.

If you feel like you really need a new social security number here are the steps to follow:

We can assign a different number only if:

  • Sequential numbers assigned to members of the same family are causing problems;
  • More than one person is assigned or using the same number;
  • A victim of identity theft continues to be disadvantaged by using the original number;
  • There is a situation of harassment, abuse or life endangerment; or
  • An individual has religious or cultural objections to certain numbers or digits in the original number. (We require written documentation in support of the objection from a religious group with which the number holder has an established relationship.)

When we assign a different Social Security number, we do not destroy the original number. We cross-refer the new number with the original number to make sure the person receives credit for all earnings under both numbers.

People who want to ask for a new Social Security number must:

  • Apply in person at a Social Security office;
  • Complete an application;
  • Provide a statement explaining the reasons for needing a new number;
  • Provide current, credible, third-party evidence documenting the reasons for needing a new number; and
  • Provide original documents establishing:
    • U.S. citizenship or work-authorized immigration status;
    • Age;
    • Identity; and
    • Evidence of a legal name change, if appropriate.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.