How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16580
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 66 as of 11/1/15 My wife turned 65 today 3/18/16. I

Customer Question

I am 66 as of 11/1/15 My wife turned 65 today 3/18/16. I would like to file and suspend my SS benefits until 70. How is the best way for my wife to file and collect the spousal benefit?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. The easiest thing to do would be to go to the social security office together. You can file a restricted application (file and suspend) and then your wife can file for benefits. Your benefit will continue to accrue until you draw it -- until age 70. Take it when you're 70 because there's no point in waiting any longer than that.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.