How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Megan C Your Own Question
Megan C
Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 16576
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CMA, CFE, CGMA M.Accy Also Teach Accounting courses at Master's Level
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Megan C is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wish to apply DIVORCED Spousal Benefit. My wife and I were

Customer Question

I wish to apply for a DIVORCED Spousal Benefit.
My wife and I were married for 24 years.
I have never remarried.
My ex wife did not fulfill 40 quarters of income earning, she raised 4 children.
My wife was over 62 at the date I started to collect my insurance at age 70. This was 20 years after our divorce.
Can I claim a divorced spousal benefit from the time she turned 62
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question.

You can only draw a divorced spouse benefit if your ex wife has earned benefits -- if she worked less than 10 years (40 quarters) there would be nothing available to you.

Also, since you have drawn your own benefit -- you would not be able to get two benefits. You can only draw one or the other, not both and at this point you have elected to take your own.

So unfortunately in your situation the divorced spouse benefit is unavailable.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.