How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Preparer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 15296
Experience:  15+ years in tax preparation and instruction
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work School system and pay TRS instead of Social Security.

Customer Question

I work for the School system and pay TRS instead of Social Security. I also work on the side and pay social security. How will this affect me at retirement. Will I get both TRS and Social Security? I don't know who to ask this question and would like to plan accordingly.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.


If you have worked other jobs besides being a teacher, you may be eligible to receive Social Security benefits, but you must be qualified to receive them. In order to be qualified, you must have earned 40 “credits”.

The Windfall Elimination Provision may affect how SSA calculates your retirement or disability benefit. If you work for an employer who does not withhold Social Security taxes from your salary, such as a government agency or an employer in another country, any pension you get from that work may reduce your Social Security benefits.

SSA has a chart here that shows how you will be effected

IRS cannot answer your questions about this speak with SSA.

Please remember to rate my service excellent once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 year ago.

Checking to see if you responded