Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am years old; will be 70 on April 16, 2016. My Social

Customer Question

I am 69 years old; will be 70 on April 16, 2016. My Social Security amount is currently $2,000.00 per month. Why is it not more? My wife's Social Security is $810.00 per month before deductions, why is hers not more; she is 68; will turn 69 Sept. 08, 2016
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Tommy, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nice to meet you Stephanie
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please e-mail me the answer to my question.

Hi! OK, generally, our SS benefit amount is based on our PIA (primary insurance amount). This amount is derived as a % calculation of our top 35 years of income. So, the higher our average monthly income is over those 35 top years, the higher our benefit rate. If yours is $2000, that is because that is the amount the calculations come to based on your lifetime income. Same for your wife, EXCEPT, I notice that hers is only $810. IF that amount is LESS than her spousal benefit would be based on your work record, and if she is currently collecting on her own work record, she can switch to a spousal benefit.

OK, I don't see your email Tommy, but you can email me at

stephanie joy @ joy disability . com

Leave out all spaces. I will email you back.

This, however, is a premium service, so I'll make sure they add that offer so I can work with our privately.