How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am, my wife will be 62 this year. If I file and suspend by

Customer Question

I am 69, my wife will be 62 this year. If I file and suspend by April 30th, can she do the same and collect 50% of my normal payment? Will she still be able to collect her full amount at FTA (66)?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Filing and suspending your benefits will allow your wife to make a spouse benefit claim, however, if she wants her own retirement benefit to continue to grow she should not do that. If she applies for a spouse benefit before reaching her full retirement age, she will be deemed to have applied for her own benefit as well, and her own benefit will stop increasing in value.

The best way for her to maximize both of your take from social security is for her to wait until she turns 66, and then for her to file a restricted spouse benefit application. This will allow her to collect 50% of your full retirement age benefit and at the same time allow her own benefit to grow by 8% per year from age 66 to age 70. It won't be necessary for you to file and suspend because by the time she applies for the restricted spouse benefit, you will be over 70 and already collecting your benefit.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,