LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
15277592

I TOOK SS AT AGE 62,MY WIFE ALSO RETIRED AT 62. RECEIVING

Customer Question

I TOOK SS AT AGE 62,MY WIFE ALSO RETIRED AT 62.I'M CURRENTLY RECEIVING $1455 ,SHE IS RECEIVING $301..I'M 77 AND SHE IS 75.SHE ALSO WORKED FOR THE CITY OF BOSTON.HER PENSION IS $433. ARE WE ENTITLED TO MORE?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

You asked: I TOOK SS AT AGE 62,MY WIFE ALSO RETIRED AT 62.I'M CURRENTLY RECEIVING $1455 ,SHE IS RECEIVING $301..I'M 77 AND SHE IS 75.SHE ALSO WORKED FOR THE CITY OF BOSTON.HER PENSION IS $433. ARE WE ENTITLED TO MORE?

There is probably nothing to gain by your wife seeking to switch to a spouse benefit at this time. A spouse benefit is limited to just 50% of what you first received at age 62 when you first retired, and then from that 50% social security will then deduct about $200 because of her Boston pension.

Based on the cost of living increases you have had in the past 15 years, I can estimate that if your wife switches to a spouse benefit, she would receive a spouse benefit of only about $250.00 per month---less than what she is already receiving.

It does not appear that you are entitled to more social security benefits. I am sorry.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug