Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  19+ years legal exp. - 10+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

My two children, ages 17 and 12, get monthly social security

Customer Question

My two children, ages 17 and 12, get monthly social security in the amount of $410 each. I receive $918 monthly. When my child that is 17 turns 18 in May, I understand that she will lose her social security because she will be graduating from high school that same month. At that time, will my child that is only 12 receive more than the normal $410 a month he has been receiving?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Your second child can receive up to 50% of your primary insurance amount (which may be different than what you are actually collecting), if he is collecting a dependent benefit based on your collecting retirement or disability.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok i got the answer but it wasnot what i expected. I thought since two kids got $410 each that when my daughter turned 18 my son who is 12 would get the entire $820.

Please don't punish me for being the messenger, OK? I am hear to help inform you, but I do not create the laws. Only our Congress has that power.

But no, children get UP TO 50% of the parent's PIA. If 810 is more than 50% of your PIA, he defintely won't get that. I will find you the citation so you need not rely on my word here.

Please see attached SSA handout, at top of page 2:

"Within a family, a child can receive up to
half of the parent’s full retirement or disability
benefit."

I hope this helps! At least to ensure you are clear on your future situation with regard to your child's benefit amount. My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!