dylatess
dylatess, ATTORNEY
Experience:  37 plus years of SSD practice
29685164

Hopefully you can; help me, I turned 65 on 2/9, I went jto

Customer Question

hELLO, hopefully you can; help me, I turned 65 on 2/9, I went jto the SS office to apply forSSi and medicare. I cant believe I was denied everything. I have everything under the sun wrong with me jbut I know I cant apply for dissability because I haven't worked in the last 5 years. But I didnt know that you had to work your whole life to get medicare. I also was told I cant get any SSI benefits because my family helps me pay my bills. I asked the lady from the SS office, would you rather me lose my home and be on the street and she said yes, that the only way you will get help. Please help me and tell me what to do.
Category: Social Security
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thats the question I asked, no one answered me.
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

You only have to have worked 40 quarters and paid those Medicare taxes to be insured for Medicare at 65 on your own work efforts. If you had a spouse that did the same (even if dead or divorced), you can file under HIS work record, if you were married for 10 years before divorcing, or for at least 9 months if he passed away while you were married to him.

Now, that is social security. For SSI, it is true that you can't collect SSI if your family is giving your too much cash or other countable income. But if they are merely giving you shelter, it may be that you need only be docked 1/3 of the SSI rate and collect the remaining part. But you have to submit the application, and I am sorry that they lady didn't take your application and have it properly worked up.

In what ways is your family financially supporting you.

And you mention you have a home, do you own it or rent it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They were helping me pay my bills until I got SS and medicare, they cant do this forever, one is getting married in May and cant help me anymore. I own my home and jthey didn't want me to lose it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
would your family want you to be homeless? Wouldn't they help you so you dont lose your home?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have to get medical ins. to get to the doctor, this is my priority. I have an ascending aortic aneurism with dissection and intramural thrombus and I'm afraid to go to sleep at night as it can rupture at any moment. I am holding a referral to a cardiothorascic surgeon and cant go because i have no medical coverage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is anybody there?

I am here, be right with you.

OK, with regard to:

"They were helping me pay my bills until I got SS and medicare, they cant do this forever, one is getting married in May and cant help me anymore. I own my home and jthey didn't want me to lose it. " ----- it sounds like an official loan type situation til you could get back on your feet. Loans can be NOT counted for income purposes. You just have to make sure that you actually use the money each month for those bills, keep track, and don't save any beyond the $2000 in countable assets. This is why I dislike when an SSA staffer makes a decision when it is not her place - she should have taken an application. Now, if it is not a loan situation (even unofficial, as in, you can pay us back at $25/week once you get your SSI)... but a constant source of income, that can be different. But it sounds like you may be fine, if you answer the questions properly (and accurately). If after you were to win an SSI claim, you accept $2000 month so someone else was paying your shelter, rather than having tenants who pay their own way (so you only pay your way), that would be different.

"have to get medical ins. to get to the doctor, this is my priority. I have an ascending aortic aneurism with dissection and intramural thrombus and I'm afraid to go to sleep at night as it can rupture at any moment. --------- I can only imagine! I am so sorry!

"I am holding a referral to a cardiothorascic surgeon and cant go because i have no medical coverage " ------- Have you applied for Medical assistance? or if you cant get straight medicaid, how about Obamacare.