Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I have been on social security disability since 2002. My

Customer Question

I have been on social security disability since 2002. My husband passed away in aug of 2015 and did not have enough credits. When I got disability I had my 40 credits. Am I eligible to collect on my credits instead of disability?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

You will be happy to know, I think that your disability WAS on your credits, otherwise you'd not have been able to collect SSDIB as you indicate. And better, the amount you receive is your FULL retirement benefit and you get to avoid being his with the early retirement reduction that other 62-66 year olds get if they apply for SS retirement before hitting full retirement age.

SO, you ARE collecting on your own record and you will not be reduced due to having SS earlier than full retirement age. Once you hit your FRA, you SSDIB will be called SS retirement, but the amount will remain as full.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gottenanything less, please reply back, I amhappy to address follow-up questions.

Kindly rate me "excellent"when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions. Be sure to start future posts with "To ***** Esq., ONLY" if you want me to specifically answer it.

Sincerely, ***** ***** Joy, Esq.

Your online SS legal resource!