How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJL LAW Your Own Question
KJL LAW, Lawyer
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 1623
Experience:  Attorney at law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
KJL LAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is Social Security the place to go to have voting rights

Customer Question

Is Social Security the place to go to have voting rights restored?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 year ago.
What state are you located, and why was the right taken away?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
North Carolina, felony DUI
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Habitual).. incarcerated for one year, 3 yr probation
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My pc timed out and I cannot see your answer!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please respond as quickly as possible
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 year ago.
In North Carolina you can obtain a certificate-of-relief to restore your voting rights. You can obtain a certificate if you have been convicted of no more than two Class G, H, or I felony convictions, or misdemeanor convictions of any class in one session of court. Under the law of NC a certificate to be obtained for up to two convictions for any combination of the permissible convictions.
After you completed all the terms of your sentence (including parole, probation, and post-release supervision), you do not have to do anything to have your citizenship rights restored. Those rights are automatically restored (N.C. Gen. Stat. § 13-1). Registering to vote, again or for the first time, is all you will need to do before voting in the county where you reside after your discharge.
Many times there are potential difficulties with registering and voting, which is why you should get the Certificate of Restoration of Forfeited Rights of Citizenship from your releasing officer.
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand what you are saying, however I am still unclear on whether those rights can be restored at the county SS office. I do not want to wait until July (end of probation) to vote.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to vote in the Democratic primary if at all possible.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 year ago.
You still have to re-register to vote in your county, to vote in the current primary.
Expert:  KJL LAW replied 1 year ago.
Call your county board of election or register online at