Stephanie O Joy, Esq
Stephanie O Joy, Esq, Soc. Sec. Attorney
Experience:  22+ years legal exp. - 12+ years owning/operating her own SSD Law practice.
10805288

I am reading about maybe losing benefits when this new law

Customer Question

Hi - I am reading about maybe losing benefits when this new law goes into effect on may 1st--I am 71 and do not want to any benefits --can you help me?
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Stephanie O Joy, Esq replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** and I am here to assist you. I am a social security attorney in my private practice – that is ALL I do. Please let me know that my post here is coming through for you by typing a quick reply.

Can you tell me, are you receiving benefits on your OWN work record? or is it on a spouse's?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi -sorry been out of town--answer to your question-I am receiving benefits from my own work record--hope this is what you need---Thanks!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please cancel my question and any further communications---just not satisfied - can't get a answer that I can understand--if I ask or talk to someone it will cost me more money---so I will take my losses and run now--

No worries. If you are receiving SS benefits on your own work record you have nothing to worry about. It only effects a spouse's ability to file restricted spousal application at her/his full retirement age, or a spouse's ability to continue collecting benefits (or start collecting benefits at any age, if the worker spouse upon whose record she is collecting those spousal benefit decides to suspend his own benefits up to age 70. So you see, no issue for you!

Excuse me?

Please know that I don't charge you, I only ask that if you get an appropriate (accurate, thorough, etc) answer from me, you rate my service with 5 stars. That is how I get credit for addressing your needs. Thanks for understanding, and please DO follow up with me if you need anything in my answer clarified.