How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 19132
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My niece (23 years old, lives home, no driver's license, no

Customer Question

My niece (23 years old, lives home, no driver's license, no work) lost her social security card in a fire at the apartment she shares with her father since her mother passed away. she lives in their rented home in Greeley PA, while her father is undergoing Stage 4 cancer treatment in the Philadelphia VA Medical Center.
I am her aunt and live 1-1/2 hours away in New Jersey. I am trying to help her replace her lost documents so that she can get her drivers license to get a job. I have gotten her birth certificate replaced, but the social security office requires a photo ID. She has no passport, never got her drivers license, needs a social security card to secure a drivers license and/or a non-drivers ID card from motor vehicle.
I do not know where to begin! No one can help me. How do I secure a photo ID for her if you need a social security card to get one, and she can't get a SS card replaced unless she has a photo ID card! She has no W-2, tax forms, doesn't own property or have any utility bills in her name. Nothing to show that she is who she is!
PLEASE HELP! I am desperate.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

If she does not have photo ID, Social Security Administration can accept alternate identification cards such as

  • Employee identification card;
  • School identification card;
  • Health insurance card (not a Medicare card); or
  • U.S. military identification card.