How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Social Security
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I have 30 years of legal and litigation experience, including representing clients before the U.S. Social Security Administration.
Type Your Social Security Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My question is son who is on Disability, W. Rieke - SS.

Customer Question

My question is for my son who is on Disability, Mark W. Rieke - SS.###-##-####
Q: He is working at Walmart and his income is close to the maximum he is allowed to earn. This month he got a $1 per hour raise and an employee bonus based on the stores profit.
I provide his transportation to and from work - and other transportation he needs since he cannot drive.
He has lost jobs in the past when management changes and a new person requires him to do things he cannot do. I'm concerned this could happen again - but of course I never know until it happens. I hate to see him lose his S.S. Disability benefit - and then maybe lose his job. This would leave him in a very difficult situation.
Can his disability benefit be lowered, by a percentage, according to his earnings - like I think is the case with Supplemental Security? This would be a much situation than losing his disability benefit which is my understanding of what will happen if he exceeds the maximum allowed income.
Thanks ***** (Mark's father)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Social Security
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Wallace,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your son's situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Unlike an early retirement benefit or SSI that is proportionally decreased if you earn too much money, a social security disability benefit is simply ended if the person earns too much money.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. Please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am credited for assisting you.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon Wallace,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you? In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

If I have provided you with the information you were seeking, would you please now rate my service to you?

Thanks in advance,